Saturday, March 10, 2007

Journal #14

Journal #14-from chapter 14
"I told him that I had dreamt that I was at home, the home where I was born, with my family, sitting with my legs under the table, and on the table was a great deal, a very great deal to eat."
Every person in the concentration camp would think and dream about food. Food they use to eat at home. The word home is another place people in the concentration camp want to go. Even if I was a Jew living in a concentration camp, all I would do is think of a happy warm meal I had in the past. Only if I knew that this was my last meal, I would have eaten a great amount and never complain about the food. My bad food habits would no longer exist. I would no longer complain to my mother how greasy or bad her food taste. I would thankfully eat her food. Memories of home is coming back to me. The home where I was born. The home I had so many happy moments. Usually, all I can remember is when my family gather around the big round table and eat a great deal of food. My mouth waters as I think of the food my mother use to make. Sometimes....I wonder whether my mother is still living. When I return home, who will make my dinner? Would I be able to have eat a large amount of food? Home and food are only in my mind. I am home and eating a large amount of food only in my dreams. Dreams is such a wonderful place and you only wish that dreams can come true. Memories as well makes you alive. Thinking about your home and family brings happiness and sadness at the sometimes. Sometimes you wish your memories would vanish, but memories cannot be erased. Memories are kept to be. Memories of your home only makes you homesick. Memories are sometimes known to be your worst enemy in concentration camps.
From this passage I am able to relate myself as a Jew. I can also relate to myself. When I went away from my parents and home for a month to study in the United States, I became homesick. I missed my mom terribly and missed the food she use to make me. However, most of all I miss my parent's love. I missed my bed that I use to sleep in and memories of my family and house eventually made me cry at nights for days. Thinking of having to be forced out of my house and having to live in a concentration camp would make my life miserable. I would be homesick and miss everything in my home. Even when I was away from my home, I didn't feel safe or comfortable. When I am home, I feel safe and warm. I think for everyone, the only place you can feel safe and the only place that is filled with a lot of love is home. I can understand why the Jews think and dream about home so much.

No comments: